Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Classics ..........

Years ago when I was in school, we had to read some of the classics in English Literature class. At the time, I wasn't able to enjoy the books since we had to dissect, analyze, and discuss them. I wasn't reading them for enjoyment, I was reading them because I had to. We only read a few of the classics. We were given brief summaries of the majority of them, and were made to memorize the titles and authors.

When I had time to read for pleasure, I would choose titles off the bestseller lists. My grandmother was a voracious reader and loved mysteries. I would sit with her on the screened-in porch on summer afternoons and read her Ellery Queen Mystery Magazines and Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazines. From her I developed a love of mysteries and thrillers. Over the years I have continued to choose popular fiction, mysteries, and thrillers as my reading material.

While looking for books to download to my Nook, I came across a series of books that are collections of the classics. Most of the books contain 50 separate books which are of a certain genre or follow a certain theme. I have downloaded several of these books such as "50 Classic American Authors", "50 Classic Romances", and "50 Classic English Authors". These collections contain many of the books that I am familiar with by name and author, but that I have never read. It is my goal this year ro read a classic for each modern day book I read.

Have you read many of the classics? If so, did you enjoy them and which were your favorites.

16 comments:

Becky Mushko said...

I've downloaded some classics to the Nook and Kindle apps on my iPod and iPad. Currently I'm rereading Huckleberry Finn. I read it every twenty years or so, and it seems like a different book each time.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I downloaded several classics to my Kindle. I now hope to reread some for pleasure instead of having to read them when I was in HS...LOL

Lydia Kang said...

I started reading many of them in high school. That was when I read my first Austen, Bronte, amongst others.

I'm so thankful for my English teachers for introducing them to me.
:)

Michelle said...

I wouldn't say that I have read a lot of classics. Although one of my favorite classes in college was American Literature. The Scarlet Letter is one of my favorite books. I have been shopping around in the Kindle store for some of the free classics they have.

Arkansas Patti said...

Somehow in all my school hopping, I can't remember any reading assignments. I do have a Kindle and have a few in my TBR pile. I really should read more of them if for no other reason than they are free.
Thanks for the reminder.

NitWit1 said...

I downloaded the collection of literary works of the Bronte Family, and have read JANE EYRE. The next will be Wuthering Heights. The 5 Brontes also wrote poetry.

I also downloaded Pride and Prejudice.

Currently am reading several short books by my favorite inspirational author, Max Lucado.

THere is enough free collections of literature to never pay a cent, but of course they are not all choices for me, but may be for you.

I downloaded THE SCARLET LETTER, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, too.

Next look maybe a collection of American Lit.

Amy said...

I just downloaded The Forsyte Saga on my Kindle. I loved the BBC/PBS adaptation from a few years ago and can't wait to read it. And, oh yeah, it was FREE!

KathyA said...

There are so many that I loved -- THE GRAPES OF WRATH, THE GREAT GATSBY, THE CRUCIBLE, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, JANE EYRE, WUTHERING HEIGHTS.....

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I minored in English in college and remember loving a Detective Fiction class I took. We read a lot of the classic detective authors such as Raymond Chandler and Micky Spillane. I still have the books. I keep saying I'll read them again someday- maybe when the kids grow up :)

J_on_tour said...

Interesting post. I don't have a lot of time to read books at the moment. I am however full of good intentions though as I have a house full of books & use the opportunity of long train journeys to skim the surface. Apart from my travel and walking section, I have a lot of Crime fiction, John Grisham & Stephen Lawhead. I don't think I own any classics but maybe I can be inspired as I have just booked 3 nights accommodation in May just around the corner from The Bronte Parsonage in Haworth.

Gilly said...

I love "proper" crime books - ie those that are what Amazon calls "Police Procedurals".

But I love Jane Austen's books. Long ago I "did" Mansfield Park at school for our final year exams, but fortunately we had a good English teacher and she didn't put me off! But how ever hard I try, I can't get into Thomas Hardy's books!

Along These Lines ... said...

Anything by Dickens!

Anonymous said...

Have I read many of the classics?

Just a few. The Pilgrim's Progress is one of my favorites :-)

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Good post. Some of my favorites are 1984, Animal Farm, The Lost Horizon, The Diary of Anne Frank, To Kill a Mockinbird, Lord of the Flies. These were all books I read in 9th or 10th grade and they helped to turn me on to reading.

schmidleysscribblins.wordpress.com said...

I pretty much like the nineteenth century and Belle Epoch of the twentieth century. I am a Janeyphile so I have read Pride and Prejudice over and over. You can forget those dismal Bronte sisters. Middle March and Adam Bede are okay, but most of Dickens is not. I like some of Hardy too. American writers like the Romantics are okay. Do not like the realists. Hate McTeague. Dianne

CountryDew said...

Free reading is a good reason for me to get a Nook!

Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, 1984, Wuthering Heights - those are a few I remember off the top of my head.