Thursday, March 4, 2010

The albino is a buck ....................


The albino deer was back tonight with his three friends. It was too dark when they showed up for me to get any pictures. The picture above is from the first night I saw them. I was calling the deer Lily White, but after watching tonight that name isn't very appropriate. I believe the three normal looking deer are girlfriends of the albino. I need a masculine name - any suggestions?


I got my binoculars and watched through the window for about 45 minutes. It was so dark it was hard to see the regular deer, but the albino stood out so I could watch as he grazed over the backyard. They came up to the house and went across the front yard. He is really a magnificent creature. I'm surprised he survived hunting season. I'm already worrying about him and the crazy gun toting hunters. All of my land is posted, but I'm sure he travels on land that is hunted.


I'll keep watching and will try to get more pictures if they come by when its still light. The possum has gone back to being a nocturnal animal. I haven't seen him during the day, but I could tell he'd been back to the house.


8 comments:

Gilly said...

How about 'Ivory King"? He looks magnificent!

Arkansas Patti said...

What a beautiful animal. Perhaps even hunters will recognize a rare creature and spare him.
Wonder if he will be sterile as white is not a desireable trait for a prey animal.

KathyA said...

The only name I could come up with was 'Majesty' -- Can you imagine what he'll look like as a mature adult?! As for the crazy hunters...what a feather in their caps that would be... :(

CountryDew said...

To Arkansas - most hunters will kill this animal. Albinos, if they mate, degrade the entire herd. A Virginia game warden once told me it is always better to cull these animals in order to keep the deer herd healthy.

But they are very interesting to watch and see. I am very glad the only hunting I do is with my camera.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

My husband suggested "Snowflake" or "Suds" for a name.

The deer is so beautiful! It's sad they recommend hunting them. Nature should be left alone.

Anonymous said...

He is magnificent!! We can only hope that he lives a long and healthy life and mates often so that we will have other albinos to enjoy.

Name him Milky Way.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I am so envious that you get to enjoy this beautiful site on a daily basis. White Knight is beautiful, as are the other 3.

In our last home I was able to enjoy more nature: deer, coyote etc, and although I love where we live now, I do miss seeing the deer. Just birds pretty much now (still enjoyable though).

Thanks for sharing!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Wow - I've never seen an albino deer! That is really awesome! How wonderful to get a view of him from time to time.