Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Squash ..........



We had squash from the garden for supper tonight. The fried squash and onions were delicious! I've got some little cucumbers on the vine that I'm anxious to harvest, and some little green tomatoes. The garden was wilted this afternoon from our heat. We just had a very brief shower, which I hope perks it up.



Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day weekend. We stayed at home and worked around the house and yard. We got the pool up and running, all the grass cut and trimmed, all the vehicles washed, and the house cleaned. Today we visited a few antique shops. We rarely buy anything - we just enjoy looking.



It is still very humid and very warm. Seems like there are scattered thunderstorms every night. We've gotten very little rain from them - usually just a sprinkle. Maggie May hides under the chair when she hears thunder, but it doesn't seem to bother Mazie Grace. I'm going to get some Aconite, an herb recommended by Sweetflutterbys3, that is suppose to calm pets. I will use it when we have bad storms and when I have to take them to the vet.


10 comments:

KathyA said...

I can't believe you've got squash already!! And almost cucumbers! I have four tomatoes about quarter size right now and the flowers are going crazy.
Today while I was at the gym, we had a dilly of a T-storm. I had left Azrielle out on the porch with the outside windows open. I felt badly as she couldn't get back in and is scared senseless of thunder. She survived, however, but is still a bit miffed with me.

Linda said...

I'm so glad Mazie Grace is still around. I could hardly stand to think about a wild animal getting her.

Squash already, I'm impressed. My favorite dish is yello squash, okra, onions and potatoes in cornmeal and fried. Oh my, that's good.

It is raining and 52 degrees here. I have the heat on very low. Just enough to take the chill out of the room.

I'd be more than happy to send you rain if that were possible.

Gilly said...

Interesting-looking squash! We only ever see Butternut in the shops here, but I daresay in some more ethnic parts of the country they have squashes!

We could do with a bit of rain - apparently we've only had about one third of the normal winter rains, and hosepipe bans are forecast for the sumer!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

WOW...nice veggies already. We don't have a veggie garden (just flowers), but nothing better than fresh veggies IMO.

It's very humid here this week!

Arkansas Patti said...

Know what you mean about those dry thunder storms. We are getting them every afternoon along with
90+ heat.
Hope your kitty drugs work.

CountryDew said...

Gosh, your garden is weeks ahead of mine. I can hardly wait until I start harvesting.

NitWit1 said...

I'm watching out for the local squash aficionados because they usually have bountiful free supply to share.

I love squasj, but my husband only likes fried.

We are having scattered somewhat violent storms. Last night one formed with lots of thunder and lightning. Luckie was beneath the footrest of my lift chair half the night.

NitWit1 said...

I'm watching out for the local squash aficionados because they usually have bountiful free supply to share.

I love squasj, but my husband only likes fried.

We are having scattered somewhat violent storms. Last night one formed with lots of thunder and lightning. Luckie was beneath the footrest of my lift chair half the night.

Anonymous said...

We had just a few rumbles in the distance last night but no raindrops... lots of dew on the back deck early this morning though... a wet week last week!

Di

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Let me know if the Aconite works!