Saturday, October 2, 2010

Computer problems and cat shuffling ......

I use HughesNet to access the internet. I have a dish similar to our DirecTV dish on the roof and receive signals from a satellite. Wednesday night I lost my internet connection. It is very rare for me to lose the satellite signal, but since we were having heavy rains moving into the region, I thought that was the cause. I tried several times thursday to get online and still had no luck. Of course, we were in the middle of our heavy rains, so even though I was beginning to go into withdrawal, I assumed everything would be operational as soon as the rain departed.

Friday morning I awoke to clearing skies, so I sat down at the computer to check my email and blogs. I still couldn't get online! Now I was really getting a bit anxious and was feeling online withdrawal. I called the local firm that originally installed my dish to report that I was having problems. They came out that afternoon and had me online in no time. The cover to the receiver on the dish was cracked and water had gotten inside, so they replaced the cover. I have now caught up on my email and blogs. Life is back to normal.

We are still shuffling cats around in order to prevent fights. The nights that it was raining, we kept Maggie May and Mazie Grace in the house so Mollie Ann could stay in the garage. I got Hubby to buy a larger tote and some sheets of foam insulation to make another shelter to put behind the shed. Directions for the shelter are here. We'll keep the smaller one on the deck since Mazie Grace likes to sleep in it. Maggie May is still determined to kill Mollie Ann. That seems to be her major goal these days. She sits on the deck watching and waiting for her to come. I have to bring her in the house so Mollie Ann can come up to eat every evening. It keeps me busy trying to keep the peace around here with three female cats.

9 comments:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I don't know if it's a female cat thing. My male Siamese Mojo has been after two of my barn kitties, Lovely, and her brother, Chuck, (now deceased because of a car, not Mojo) for YEARS. But he leaves the other barn kitty, Eclipse, alone. I have to put cat food in the tobacco barn so Lovely gets to eat, poor thing.

Gilly said...

Its probably the female thing ;) Three women in the itchen wouldn't work either. Same difference!

Mollie Ann is a very lucky kitty, though, to have found such a good home.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

and we have (2) male cats that can't get along! the (2) females are fine. It is primarily (1) insecure, jealous male that causes chaos from time to time as fur flies when you least expect it...LOL

so happy your back online; i'd have withdrawal as well:) enjoy your sunday.

rachel said...

Try adding a dog to the mix - suddenly the cat enemies become a team!

Linda said...

I'm sorry to have to say this but Maggie Mae needs an attitude adjustment. It may be time for tough love. A few nights outside in the world of wild coyotes might change her opinion about a lot of things. It certainly made Mazie Grace a better girls.

I don't think I've ever had multiple female cats. They may be a bit on the "catty" side like groups of women are said to be.

Arkansas Patti said...

I have wondered about Hughes Net. I have DSL but it has slower speed than most dial ups. A real mickey mouse, small town IP.
Don't know what to say about the cats. I have always just dumped them in the house together and let them work out their differences on their own. It usually took about a week of hissing and spitting but a workable peace eventually won out.
Good luck.

CountryDew said...

Glad you're back online!

KathyA said...

Perhaps Maggie May needs some therapy? :)
We had four female cats until a few years ago. There were rare spats, but the alpha cat definitely ruled the house. When she died, they all seemed to 'step up.' Now Azrielle is our only -- a position which she seems to enjoy.

NitWit1 said...

I am not an expert on cats. I'm assumomg they are spayed

The few breeders I've known say female dogs have to be regitdly and carefully separated when they are in :heat". A few disasterous stories permanently destroyed any inclination for puppies I may have had. I just buy or adopt what I want.