Sunday, August 25, 2013

Running of the bulls Virginia style.......





Around 4,000 people gathered yesterday at a motorsport park in a neighboring county to participate in Virginia's version of the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain. Participants paid $60.00 each to experience the thrill of being chased by twelve 800 pound bulls. About 8,000 people came to watch the event. Two people were hurt with concussion-like symptoms and one was taken to a nearby hospital. The event ended with a food fight between the runners and spectators that used 45,000 tomatoes. I bet that was one big mess!

Years ago when my Dad raised cattle, I was chased by bulls several times. It wasn't fun or exciting - it was very frightening. I had no desire to repeat the experience or to even watch other people, so I did not attend.

Would you run with the bulls? If you would like to try it, the promoters plan to have events in 10 more cities.



5 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Oh, I don't think I would ever run with the bulls in Virginia or anywhere else! :-) I was raised on a farm and was chased by a bull once. As you said, not a fun experience.

I live in Virginia, too. Nice to connect with another Virginia blogger! :-)

Arkansas Patti said...

I don't think so but to each his own. My "daring" gene never fully developed.
Amazing that people pay $60 for the possibility of being maimed.

schmidleysscribblins.wordpress.com said...

My Mom always warned me to stay out of the pasture where the bull lived. I never listened. The best pecan trees in the world grew in that pasture. Fortunately, I never saw a bull. I think my Mom told me a lot of Bull, however. Dianne

CountryDew said...

Not something I would do, no. Yikes.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Omg, people are crazy!