Monday, February 23, 2009

Treadmills and weight ...........


I have complained several times this winter about it being too cold or else too windy to go walking. My sweet Hubbie offered to buy me a treadmill, so I took him up on the offer.

We got this one from Gold's Gym at Wal Mart. It came in a huge box with lots of pieces, but really wasn't all that hard to put together. It only took us about an hour Saturday morning.

I have a small house. so it had to go in the garage. My garage does not get overly cold. I have a heater out there as well as a TV and a CD player, so I can entertain myself as I walk.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, so walking is a good joint friendly exercise for me. I feel so much better and have so much more energy when I exercise. It's also a good way to burn calories. I never thought I would want to burn calories, but I would actually like to lose 5 to 10 pounds.

I am 5' 8" tall and I weigh 140 pounds. Two years ago I weighed 100 pounds. I had been within ten pounds of that weight all my adult life. I even had clothes that I wore in high school that I could still wear at 60 years of age. I was underweight and had been underweight all my life. I remember my teachers in grade school checking my lunch tray to make sure that I had eaten. I tried to gain weight by going on 4000 calorie a day diets, by eating every fattening food I could find and nothing worked. My doctor told me that my body was at the weight it wanted to be and that I probably wouldn't be able to gain. If you're underweight and eat well, you do not get any sympathy or help from doctors. My Mom was thin, so I figured it was hereditary.

So, I finally resigned myself to having skinny arms and legs and lots of visable bones. On May 20, 2007, I quit smoking. I slowly began to gain weight, which I though was great. I was gaining about a pound a week without eating any more than usual. I finally had a butt, my legs and arms filled out, my chest filled out, my face even looked better. I actually got the figure of a girl! When I reached 140, I stopped gaining. I guess my body got to the weight it wants to be at now. I continue to eat the same as I was, but I've stopped gaining weight. My only complaint is my stomach. I would like to get rid of this belly fat. Does anyone know how to get rid of belly fat and keep the rest?

So maybe Hubbie was trying to politely tell me that I was putting on a few too many pounds when he offered to buy me a treadmill. Do you think so?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like you are at a good weight for you height. I'm a little under 5'4". I wish I was tall!

Most of my life I was skinny/thin. In my 50s,
the weight started to pile on. I was such a busy pet-sitter, I often ate my meals in my car. Yup, fast food. Eventually my weight got up to 140+...and for me that was very chubby. I lost more than 20 lbs. when my back problems started. I've gained a little back and for health reasons, I'm going to get rid of 5 lbs. I eat better and much less now, so it won't be hard to do.

Don't know how to get rid of belly fat. Good luck!