Thursday, July 1, 2010

Big shoppers ...........

We finally got some relief from the heat yesterday. Hubby and I decided to take advantage of the pretty day by taking a quick trip to Prime Outlets in Williamsburg. If you've never been there, it has over 120 designer and brand name outlet stores. It's a shopper's paradise.

We stopped for breakfast along the way and got there around 10:30 AM. We walked and looked until almost 2 PM. The only purchase we made was a cheese slicer for $8.00. The one I had broke several months ago and I missed having one. I saw lots of nice things, but nothing I really wanted. When I have too many things to look at, I get overwhelmed and nothing really jumps out and says "Buy Me". We were hungry, so we left the outet mall and stopped to eat before coming back home.

I used to love to shop and would always find loads of stuff I wanted. The trunk of my car would be full after a trip to the mall. Since I've gotten older, my wants are not as great. I don't make impulse buys. If I see something I think I want or need, I won't purchase it then. I will wait and if I still want it a week later, then I will buy it. That little trick has saved me a lot of money. I also do a lot of shopping on the internet. I can search for the specific item I want and compare prices at different merchants - all while comfortable in my pj's.

Are you a shopper?

11 comments:

Linda said...

Williamsburg, THE Williamsburg? I'd love to visit there again.

Oh yes, I am a shopper. I'm also an impulse buyer. Not good. I spend a lot of time taking things back. However, like you, the older I get the less I see that I want to buy.

Gilly said...

No, I hate shopping. And can't drift along like I used to be able to, now that its so painful walking. So I shop on the internet - its great, and very easy. Too easy!

I have to ration my time on Amazon - books are my downfall!

Becky Mushko said...

I hate shopping, too. And, like you, I usually wait a wek (or more) before deciding if I really need something.

NitWit1 said...

Love to shop. My weakness is new and supposedly "better" whatevers.

I spend a lot of time at the refund desk, mainly for clothes that do not fit. I hate to try on clothes in a store.

Arkansas Patti said...

My impulse buys are tempered by retirement.
Years ago I met a retiree from my work place in Walmart and I asked him how he liked retirement.
He said. "The difference now is that you only buy what you went in to the store for in the first place."
I understood for as someone still working, I had gone in for a light bulb and was ready to check out with a cart full of impulse stuff.
Today, I walk out with the light bulb only.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Williamsburg is my favorite place. I grew up only a few hours from there (Danville) and spent many a summer roaming around Williamsburg and VA beach. I could still shop until I drop, except I have no place to put anything at home!

Sounds like you had a very nice time!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I'm a big fan of thrift and charity stores; love looking for "the find". I don't shop malls as they, rarely, have anything I'd like to buy and, usually, it's overpriced and undervalued, imo. We're 15 miles and 2 mountains from a Wal-Mart; about 65 miles from a BAM and having to drive that far means planning my trips. My clothing is purchased via the i-net and catalogs from three stores but, generally, there's not much impulse buying as we just don't need much of anything anymore. Besides, we'd rather save our money for travel.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Thanks for following Thistle Cove Farm; I'd like to return the favor, where's your followers button?
Happy July 4th; thank someone who served.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Sandra - I've added the follower's button.

Booksnyc said...

I went to William and Mary so am very familiar with the outlets in the 'Burg (although I don't remember there being as many as 120 there - I guess they have expanded). It was always a nice treat/break from studying to hit the shops!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I use to be an "addictive" shopper. If I saw a sweater I liked and could not decide which color to buy --I'd buy (4) in different colors. As I got older, as you said, I shop much less, thinking how much do I really need?

I usually hit the outlet malls for spring and fall, and buy some new clothes for work.