Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Summer Pleasures # 3 - The smell of fresh cut hay .....


I love the sweet smell of fresh cut hay. I wish I could bottle the scent and use it as a home air freshener during the winter months.


My cousin cut the hay field beside my house last weekend and baled it yesterday. Almost everyone makes the big round bales these days. When I was a kid we had the square bales. They would be gathered from the field and packed into the hay shed or barn to keep them out of the weather. We would make tunnels though the bales and play in the hay. It's a wonder we weren't bitten by a snake or crushed by falling bales.

8 comments:

Gilly said...

Lovely smell - but ruination to us hay fever sufferers!!

I'll have it in a bottle, please!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

I'm with you on this one - LOVE the smell of hay. And I love seeing those giant circles of hay sitting in the fields. I think it would feel so satisfying to look back at the end of the day and see them sitting out there. I think it would look like proof of a job well done! I also like to see the circles all put together and covered - reminds me of a giant caterpillar.

KathyA said...

What a lovely sense overload!! Our college campus was surrounded by Amish and Mennonite farms. Lots of hay, timothy, and cow manure!

Anonymous said...

Not quite an air freshner, but
Heno de Pravia products from Spain were inspired by the smell of fresh cut hay. You can find them at tienda.com and Amazon. Maybe you can give one a try next winter.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Square bales are what I remember too from my grandfather's farm.
A lot of this going on around my area too. Have good 4th!

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of hay also. And I'm seeing a lot of fields here with those round bales. Pretty! When I was young, I had a horse, and his hay came in those rectangular bales.

Happy 4th!

Becky Mushko said...

I love the smell of fresh cut hay, too. We had a record number of round bales from our fields this year.

Anonymous said...

You can purchase a scent called Fresh Hay from Demeter Fragrance. http://www.demeterfragrance.com ^_^ It smells awesome.