Saturday, April 4, 2009
Raised garden beds #2 .........
We finally had a warm sunny day, so we worked some more on our raised garden beds. First we had to take up the railroad ties that were already there. Some were totally eaten by termites and fell apart easily. The others we cut into smaller pieces with the chain saw, so we could load them on the wagon and take them away.
Next we put the beds together using metal corner brackets. The hard part was getting the beds level. Our yard slopes, so we would have to dig out some areas and fill in others. Our old beds were wider and not as long, so we had to move a lot of dirt around.
If it dries off enough this week, I'll order a truck load of topsoil. What we don't use in the beds, we can use in other places in the yard. I'm going to get a new wheelbarrow tomorrow, so I can move dirt. DH will also get some metal rods to drive in the ground on the sides to keep the sides from bowing out.
Once we get all that done, then I can start planting - lettuce, carrots, radishes, cabbage, tomatoes, zuchinni squash, yellow squash, cucumbers, green peppers. The bed on the left in the picture below is smaller and I'm thinking I will plant herbs in it. .