Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Checking off the list .......

Christmas cards are done. Decorating is done. Shopping is done (this is easy since I don't shop). All I have left is cooking Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

There are no children in my immediate family. I have two nephews who are now young men - one in college and one graduating high school this year. I always give them cash so they can get what they want or need. Several years ago the adults in my family agreed to stop exchanging gifts. H and I have agreed that we will get a new mattress set when they go on sale as our Christmas gift to each other this year. I give the aides who stay with my Dad a cash bonus at Christmas. So, I bought 5 gift envelopes and my shopping was done. Couldn't have been any easier.

I know that gift giving is a big part of Christmas for a lot of people. It's exciting and fun when you have children. But when everyone is an adult - middle age or older - it gets to be a chore. The important thing is being able to get together with family and friends and enjoying each other's company.

The Christmas tree is still standing. It's missing several balls and the branches and lights are askew, but it may make it to Christmas. Maggie May is in love with the tree. If she isn't climbing in it, she is sleeping under it. Anything new fascinates her.

No comments: